Thursday, December 22, 2011

Happy Solstice and Handmade Gifts

We have a tradition of giving the boys one small handmade gift at Solstice.  This year when I was wondering what I could possibly make for my 16 year old son he sent me a picture of this hat.  It looked simple enough so I googled and found a simple pattern on this blog.  After a quick reminder for myself on how to do a half-double crochet I got to it.
I'm pleased with how it turned out and, better yet, so is he.  It really does do a mama's heart good to see her teen son wearing some handmade goodness.  If you look at that first link you'll see that the hat had a label that said "Love" on it, I barely resisted the temptation to make one up that said "Mama's Love" to torment my son with.
Happy Solstice!
May the return of the light help you find much to be thankful for.

6 comments:

daisy g said...

Enjoy the changing of the seasons, Heather.

Erin said...

happy solstice to you and yours dear heather.

may the light always find you and may you bask in the warm light, knowing the gifts you bring to others.

we made a few things for the birds and tried to make a fire, but it was wet wood we'worked with and couldn't get it to catch. and we enjoyed a cup of cocoa decorated with crushed candy cane around the rim, and one in the cocoa cup (organic candy canes, yes!) and gingerbread!

Reginas Cottage said...

dear heather,
merry christmas to you and yours and a happy new year!
love and hugs regina

Katherine said...

Happy Solstice! So happy the shortest day of the year is behind us...

Is that really W showing off his new hat?

erin said...

and i forgot to mention, what a stunning hat...i love that pattern. xo

Only in Louisiana ~ documenting the adventures we call Life! said...

Your hat is beautiful! Love your ideas on the sidebar too! Bookmarking this blog!