Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Rhubarb Muffins


Even though I have been purposefully trying to use up everything in our freezers it still came as a bit of a shock to realize that I had no fruit left in the freezer for smoothies.  Usually I have such an overabundance of strawberries put away that we just never run out but last year, due to moving in strawberry season, it seems I didn't pick and freeze with my usual over-do-it tendencies.  The only fruit left in our freezer is rhubarb.  One of my generous gardening friends gave me one of her rhubarb plants to bring home so, assured of a fresh supply this summer (can't wait to make this again), I thought I might as well use up the last of last year's.
I used a basic rhubarb muffin recipe that I've had for ages but decided to add some ground hazelnuts and flax seed to it.
Then I drizzled a bit of maple syrup on the top before  baking them.  They turned out quite delicious.
We also tried Jamie Oliver's recipes for Rhubarb crumble with ginger.  Interesting to have rhubarb with fresh ginger but we did miss the strawberries that we usually combine with rhubarb.

2 comments:

Greenie said...

Those muffins look delicious! I always associate rhubarb with strawberries, too. It's weird to have it without strawberries.

Yarn and Ivories said...

Growing up I never had strawberries on the farm, but lots of rhubarb. Rhubarb pie! I realize that my grandma must have used a ton of sugar!
Living in the SW with alkaline soil, I miss rhubarb.