Friday, August 28, 2009

Peach Streusel Picnic Cake

Yesterday I made this Peach Streusel Picnic Cake recipe from my favourite Canadian Living Cookbook.  We didn't take it on a picnic but we did share it with friends and it sure was delicious.  I love the taste of fresh lemon zest in baking (especially combined with the taste of real butter and fresh, sweet peaches).  I used walnuts instead of pecans because we still have bags full of them from our old walnut trees.
When we moved a few months ago I was packing up my coldroom and decided that I wouldn't do very much canning this year because I wanted to use up every bit of the canning we have before we move again next year. 
 Last week we got 30 pounds of fresh peaches and I said to E that we might have to preserve some.  He said it would be better to eat them all fresh because they were tastiest that way and it was less work!!  Of course, I thought the less work part was brilliant and decided we would indeed eat them all fresh but yesterday I started leaning towards the idea of making a small batch of peach butter. We'll see but I did manage to use up 6 or 7 peaches on this cake (instead of the 3 or 4 it calls for) and have plans to make peach pie this weekend.

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

That looks delicious - I love peaches!!!

Fantastic Five said...

It was delicious! Thank you so much. I have already requested the cookbook from the library.
Dianne

Laura said...

wow just found your blog and I really enjoy it!