Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Can't get enough of the fruit...

What is it in me that just can't resist a bargain? Yesterday we stopped at the packing house to get some new crop apples and possibly some more blueberries. We ended up getting a box of cherries, and two boxes of peaches as well. The peaches were at the back of the store and marked 29 cents a pound. I figured they were bruised, very ripe or damaged somehow and would make great peach butter so, for that price, I brought two boxes home with me. I have this weird thing where I don't like leaving "damaged" fruit or veg at the store - it's like I feel sorry for it. You'd think it was an abandoned puppy or something.This morning I opened up the boxes and had a look and found them barely marked. I've just talked to my husband to see if he can pick up some more. I keep looking out the kitchen window at my tree loaded with peaches and wondering why I feel I need more but I just can't resist.
I also can't help wondering why this fruit is priced so low. The orchardists must be losing money on these and there is really nothing wrong with them other than some small discolouration (hail damage??) on the skin that doesn't even go through to the flesh. I find it hard to believe that people would turn their noses up at these or even think that they shouldn't be paying full price for them. I wonder why our standard here for "perfect" fruit is the way it is. So, even though I am quite pleased to come by this fruit for such a good price I still find it very sad that it is this price.

No comments: