Thursday, June 5, 2008

Walt Whitman and compost??

"Behold this compost! Behold it well!...
It grows such sweet things out of such corruptions."

Another thing to love about gardening is the endless surprises one can find everywhere you look. This year we had some extra compost left over after covering the beds. Yes, I know...extra!?! How lovely. I left some in a wheelbarrow and some in a huge pot to use when I was planting tomatoes or topdressing things, and now there is something growing out of each.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

I love gardening surprises like this! Will you be finding another home in the garden for the bonus plants?

Mary-Sue said...

COOL! Wonder what they are. I have one surprise plant growing in one of my flower beds from spreading compost this spring. I can't wait to find out what it is!

this is my patch said...

It looks like a courgette or squash? Don't forget to let us know. My compost is full of seeds, it doesn't get hot enough when rotting, to kill them. x

denise said...

What an awesome idea! :)