Monday, April 14, 2008

A walk in the woods.

Nature is a language, and every new fact that we learn is a new word; but rightly seen, taken all together, it is not merely a language, but the language put together into a most significant and universal book. I wish to learn the language, not that I may learn a new set of nouns and verbs, but taht I may read the great book which is written in that language.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yesterday we went for a walk through the local regional park. It offers a lovely stroll up through the hills and along the lakeshore. I was pleased that I had brought the camera along - I was supposed to me getting mountain biking pictures of the boys but it seems I got a little off track. :-)
The arrowleaf balsamroot is one of the wild flowers of the Okanagan that I just love. It is so sunny, so cheery and so profusive.
And who doesn't love a buttercup? (Oh, that's right, I don't! Not now that I was silly and sentimental enough to think that I should transplant some from my childhood home into my current garden. Silly woman, what was I thinking?) We used to always put these under our chins to see if we liked butter, not a very precise science, I'm afraid. :-)

BTW for a hilarious read, it is hard to beat Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, unless of course it is Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island. These are wet-the-pants-laughing type reads so be warned.

No comments: