Friday, April 25, 2008

Learning at home

There are so many things that I love about learning at home with my boys, so many benefits that I could never list them all...I probably couldn't even begin to imagine them all. One benefit that has always been clear to me though, is how close my children are because of this time together. Of course they have their moments of discord - who doesn't? But those are few and far between. E adores his big brother and W loves his little brother.

Yesterday afternoon W went for dinner and a evening at the pool with a friend. E was sad when they left and spent some time on his own (I didn't know what he was doing) then he came up and seemed content. Later that night I asked him to get his jammies on; when he came up to brush his teeth he asked if he could phone W to find out when he would be home. I was just about to remind him that W was in the pool (not the best place for a phone call) when we heard the door open. E called out for W and ran to the door for a big hug and I could tell that W was pleased to be missed. Isn't that what we all want in life? To love, to be loved for who we are, and to be known? It made my heart so glad to see them.

When W sat down for a second dinner (swimming makes you hungry, don't you know) E gave him another hug and a card that he had made earlier. Here it is.
On the front is a picture of E with tears because he is missing W. Inside are pictures of both of them going out to bounce on the trampoline together. See the happy faces? When you ask people what is the most important thing in life, most people will say their family, their health, their friends/sense of community. If someone were to ask me what my kids are learning by "homeschooling", I think that I could say that they are learning one of the most important things life has to offer.
**I love this so much that I had to post it on both blogs. :-)

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Wow, beautiful post Heather. Brought tears to my eyes.

Heather said...

Thanks Joanne. It is funny about kids isn't it? They have a way of bringing you to tears (sometimes of joy, sometimes of frustration) like no else.